Signs of Miscarriage in Early Pregnancy
Feared and yet much more common than we think, so spontaneous abortion, something that most women have to happen and unfortunately causes many traumas and depression, due to irrational guilt, since most of the time are due to genetic defects or other causes which make it impossible to blame the mother.
There are many factors which can trigger a miscarriage and which should receive special attention, such factors include the following:
- In general, a miscarriage takes place because the pregnancy is not being normally developed and there is nothing that can be done to avoid it. The most common cause for a miscarriage is a chromosomal anomaly on the fetus which can be caused by a deficient sperm or ovule. The chromosomal anomalies are increased with age; therefore women older than thirty five have a higher risk for having a miscarriage.
- Other factors can have an important incidence over miscarriage like for instance some kinds of infections or other diseases in the woman: diabetes which is not being properly controlled, systemic lupus or any disease that is affecting the thyroid.
- Determined habits also can increase the possibilities of a miscarriage such as a bad nutrition, smoking, the intake of alcohol and the intake of drugs.
- Anomalies on the uterus or in the cervix.
- The use of analgesics in the period near to the conception like ibuprofen or medicines used to relief pain such as aspirin as the intake of other medicines.
- If the mother suffers an accident.
The most common symptoms of spontaneous abortion are vaginal bleeding and abdominal pains. These symptoms occur when there is a threat both to abortion as when the baby has already been lost and the pregnancy has been interrupted. The symptoms are:
- Bleeding is light progressive first and then abundant.
- Back pain
- The colicky abdominal pain or lower back.
- The expulsion of clots or tissue material coming out of the vagina.
However, some of these signs are common during the early months of pregnancy without symptoms are spontaneous abortion. It is very important to consult your gynecologist immediately, who can check if the pregnancy develops, if it is a threatened abortion or if it has already resulted in the loss of the embryo.
The gynecologist can see if the cervix is dilated, you can perform a blood test or by ultrasound extraction (inserting a probe into the vagina), check whether the fetus is implanted in the uterus and if the heart is beating normally.
In the case that a couple has suffered two or more recurrent miscarriages, it is advisable to consult with the doctor in order to have appropriate studies and analysis, and thus have a medical evaluation in order to discard possible specific causes or to provide an effective solution to the problem through an adequate treatment. In many cases the miscarriage might be imminent and the mother is unable to take preventive measures, however it is always helpful to remove alcohol and drugs from the diet and adopt a balanced diet complemented with folic acid.